This is the place to keep up to date with news of special events, culinary innovations and new arrivals among our herds of deer.
Easter at Sky Park Farm
The countryside is definitely starting to show signs of Spring – daffodils are blooming, trees and shrubs are starting to burst with blossom and the dawn is filled with a chorus of chirping birds. With this new season in full flow, our thoughts turn to Easter. What does Easter mean to you?
Easter is a Christian festival starting with Lent – a 40 day period of fasting, prayer and sacrifice and ends in Holy Week, which includes Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Despite the significance of the Christianity, many observed traditions have their roots in the pagan celebrations and the Jewish holiday of Passover. In fact, the English word Easter, is said to have come from Eostre, or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. Other historians maintain that “Easter” is derived from in albis, a Latin phrase that’s plural for alba, or “dawn.”
Certainly, at Sky Park Farm Easter is a time of renewed life. The Rangers are busy maintaining the estate, paddocks are soon to be sprayed and fertilised, caring for our land is at the heart of Sky Park Farm. The deer stags are starting to ‘cast’, with ‘buttons’ of new antlers starting to show. The hinds are pregnant, with calves due from May. Nurturing our majestic deer herds is essential and all our deer will have their bi-annual health check soon.
During April, more opportunities for fun are filling the calendar:
- Opening hours – throughout April the Farm Experience is open seven days a week allowing plenty of long days for animal lovers, young and old, to explore our Farm Trail and meet and feed our herds of deer.
- Meet the Ranger – over the school holidays, visitors will be able to Meet The Ranger to get really close to the deer and quiz the Rangers on their deer facts! Specific hours will be listed in the Visitor Centre so be sure to check on your arrival, and no advance booking is required.
- Adventure Playground – children of all ages can enjoy letting off steam. With a dedicated play area for the Under 5s, there is something for everyone. Curious visitors will notice work continuing on our new area, the TreeTop Towers, which will open this summer.
- For hungry tummies – our Visitor Centre will offer a ‘Grab and Go’ picnic and drinks to enjoy on The Terrace, in the Deer Hub or your chosen picnic spot. Alternatively, enjoy a salad to take away from the Deli, perhaps accompanied by a sausage roll or home made quiche.
- Easter Egg Hunt – during the school holidays, there will be eight wooden eggs hidden in different locations throughout the Farm. Every day, the eggs will be in a different spot! Once you have found them all, go and claim your chocolate egg from the Visitor Centre!
- Easter at Home – The Farm Shop offers a wide variety of chocolate Easter eggs and gifts. If you have a house full of guests, be sure to stock up on something for pantry, fridge and freezer! For inspiration for your Easter table, our Butcher offers exceptional quality meats. You will find lean and tender venison, alongside beef, lamb, pork, chicken and other meats. Be sure to get your orders in soon when you’re visiting or by calling 01703 634643.
- Feast in The Grazing Rooms – For those looking to relax and enjoy a delicious meal with friends or family, The Grazing Rooms is a destination in itself to enjoy exceptional seasonally led dishes in a beautiful and relaxed environment. Our menus change frequently inline with the local seasonal produce available. Come and see what has inspired our chefs.
Are you curious to get a closer look at Father Christmas’s reindeer? Now you can with our special Reindeer Live Feed. With our feed, you can watch Rudolph and Blitzen in their Grotto, 24/7. See how they move, play, and […]
Look out for Sky Park Farm on Channel 5’s, Winter on the Farm, the cameras were here recently filming Yorkshire vet Shona Searson as she met our team of Rangers to health check the livestock, feed the sika and observe […]
Be among the first to know about special events and offers at Sky Park Farm. Occasionally — not too often — we’ll be in touch. We might invite you to try out new venison dishes at our cafe, to a […]